With just a 10% shift in market share from national or global businesses to locally owned independents, $130 million in new economic activity would be generated in Onondaga County.
Why Shop Local First?
- The money stays in Syracuse.
- More substantial jobs are created.
- Reduces environmental impact.
- Idea of local businesses creates character within the community.
- Community reinvestment.
- Taxes are used more efficiently.
- Competition & diversity bring decisions.
- Stronger community connections.
- Encourages local investments in Syracuse.
- Millions of dollars in tax revenue subsidies are handed to chains by financially-starved local governments which continue to drain our community of tax based funding.
- Shopping centers are left empty when chain stores move to profitable areas, which accounts for the large amount of vacant stores each year.
- Carefully planned pricing practices allow national chains to establish virtual monopolies as they drive local competition out of business.
“Going local does not mean walling off the outside world. It means nurturing locally owned businesses which use local resources sustainably, employ local workers at decent wages and serve primarily local consumers. It means becoming more self-sufficient and less dependent on imports. Control moves from the boardrooms of distant corporations and back into the community where it belongs.”
Michael H. Shuman, author of Going Local